Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Their Was Food, Booze, Dancing, Fire, and Good Times Did Abound

First thing is first, I apologize for the quality of the pictures, something was split on my camera lens and I didn't notice till after I had uploaded the photo's. I guess the big problem with being the cook and camera man.

Anyway, more to the point, this Tuesday, yesterday, my friend Matt entered his 29th year of existence. In order to celebrate we took him up to Lake Scugog (Scugog being somewhat fabled, since we first passed it on the highway, and I exclaimed the name out loud in the car in a seemingly random fashion. Picture minding your own business and then having the word Scugog shouted for no apparent reason.) for a BBQ. Chris brought a portable BBQ borrowed from work and I prepped and cooked the food. Renars was on Fire duty, of which he went right of to work.


First up, Creole shrimp with a remoulade. (5 stars)


Course 2, blackened frogs legs with Asian dipping sauce (soy sauce, black vinegar, chili garlic sauce, flash fried minced garlic in sesame oil and chili oil, and chopped fresh cilantro). (3 stars, slightly overcooked and most of the seasoning fell off)

As the frogs legs were cooking, a skunk decided to come visit.

Matt decided to greet it.

Finally the first potato package finished cooking.

Along with the frogs legs.

Some lamb burgers. (Another 5 star, very tasty burgers)
(
The finished product being enjoyed.

Cheers!

Where he finds this shit sometimes I just have no idea.

The grand finale, Sausages! Picked em up from the Sausage King vendor at the St. Lawrence Market. 2 Hot Italians, 2 Honey Garlic, 2 Farmers Pork, and 2 Spicy something sausages. (4 stars, although all I can take credit for is cooking technique, the rest goes to the Sausage King)

Yeah we made a bit of a mess. (Don't fret, it was all cleaned up)

It never ceases to amaze me what a bit of fiddle music, and a lot of beer can do.


Or what an open fire and a lot of beer can do for that matter.

Finally back in the city we hit a few pubs and a Chinese restaurant before calling it a night and crawling home for dawn.

I feel, as this is a food blog and all, that I am required to mention the Chinese food a bit. I haven't the faintest idea where we ate, but it was on Spadina, about half way to Dundas from College. I don't recall ever having been here before, so I can say it was a new experience. We ordered 5 dishes, an order of Cantonese Chow Mein, a Oyster Beef, a Sichuan Beef, a Shanghai Noodles (which turned into Singapore Noodles upon being informed they were out of Shanghai) and finally a General Tso Chicken. In my opinion the winner was the Cantonese Chow Mein, a hearty portion of beef, chicken, BBQ pork, shrimp and scallops, on perfectly balanced crispy and soft noodles (best of all no fucking imitation crab!!). The Oyster Beef was great, but the portion was too small for me to highly recommend it. The Sichuan Beef was a little disappointing (as most Sichuan food tends to be outside an actual Sichuan restaurant. One day I may even learn to stop ordering it outside them) but still had enough flavor to be consumed with great speed. The General Tso Chicken was quite good, nice and crispy, and the sauce was great. And finally the Singapore Noodles came, quite good as well, however it was a little lacking in spiciness, the onion was a bit too thick and over powering at times, and it seemed to be lacking in pork and shrimp. All in all though it was a satisfying meal at 3 in the AM. Will go back (if I can remember which place it is) if for nothing else then to take Christina for the Cantonese Chow Mein.

No comments:

Post a Comment