Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pies, Champ and Caesar

Pub food being up their in my enjoyments I finally decided to take my hand at meat pies and champ. I also decided to take another stab at Caesar Dressing, after my last unsuccessful attempt.

Worried about the amount of time it would take me to get everything done I made the Chicken Pot Pie and Steak, Guinness, and Mushroom pie fillings the night before.


Having made good time on the fillings I decided to do my Caesar Dressing the night before as well.

I started with making a base with egg yolk, Dijon, and emulsifying it with olive oil, then squeezing in 1 lemon.

I then added my ingredients, 1 head roasted garlic, 1 large clove garlic pressed, 2 tsp red wine vinegar, 3 anchovies, a splash of worchteshire, Tabasco, and finally some Parmesan cheese. Resulting in something that looked like this;

The next day arrived and I dashed out to get a few remaining ingredients. Upon returning I got hard to work. I started by making my pie crust, which I was using for the bottom, and using store bought puff pastry for the top. I made mini pies in a large muffin tray. I started by filling my Chicken Pot Pies on the left side, whilst I put the finishing touches on my Beef and Guinness mixture (heating and mixing in about a half cup of sharp cheddar).


I then filled the right side with my Beef and Guinness pies and placed into a pre-heated 375 degree oven.

As my pies baked away I diced up a small baguette, coated in olive, Parmesan, and garlic powder, placed on a baking sheet and slid onto the bottom oven rack.

Whilst everything baked away I made my Champ (Champ of course being an Irish mashed potato with scallions, I also add a head roast garlic and parsley) and pan fried my Pancetta for the Caesar. The Pancetta finished around the same time the Croutons finished baking, I diced the Pancetta, and added both to the Caesar along with the sauce.


To my fortune as everything finished off, so did my pies.

Everything turned out for the best. The salad was a vast improvement, all be it, it could have benefited from move anchovies and maybe a second head of roasted garlic. The pies were crusty, the meat was tender, and the sauce was very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment