Sunday, March 14, 2010

I'll Have a Burrito, Everything on it.

So for the first time in a long time I had a burrito. I enjoyed it considerably more then the last time I had one. So as with all culinary treats I enjoy, I try and replicated them at home.

The big road block in my way was having relatively little idea of how to reproduce the barbacoa they used in their beef (even though I was using chicken). The barbacoa at this given place being beef braised for hours (apparently) in a seemingly glowing reddish orange sauce.

So inevitably I jumped in head first spread a Mexican spice blend over my chicken breasts, and browned them in a pot. After browning them all, I deglazed the pan with a bottle of molson ex, and added about 2 cups of chicken stock, followed by 2 chipolte peppers, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 tomato, and 1 can of tomato paste. I re-added the chicken breasts till fully cooked and shreddable then removed them. I simmered the sauce down till thick, shredded the chicken, removed the chipolte, and garlic from the sauce, and added the chicken.

Meanwhile I made a roasted tomato and chili salsa, spicy black beans, and some guacamole. Followed by cooking some yellow rice (turmeric and cumin). Now almost ready I shredded some cheese, some lettuce, and made a mix of diced fresh veg.

Salsa

Spicy Black Beans

Diced cucumber, tomato, and scallions

Guacamole

Yellow Rice

The building process ended up looking something like this;

Add Yellow Rice;

Followed by Spicy Black Beans;

Followed by the Chicken;

Some Diced Veg;

Salsa;

Cheese;

Sour Cream;

Guacamole;

And finally the lettuce, wrap in tin foil and place in the oven at 400 for roughly 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment