Monday, March 22, 2010

Feelin' Like Somethin' Fried

So last week I was having one of my many pub food cravings. Now the cravings less for the food itself and more for the experimentation involved.

This particular go, I decided to do mozzarella sticks, zucchini sticks, chicken fingers, and curry battered mushrooms. I also did a very light chicken and vegetable stir-fry (which will not be featured as it was nothing overly special, nor my main focus)as to not fill up on unhealthy fried food.

The experimentation in this case was left to the chicken fingers and curry battered mushrooms. Typically when I make chicken fingers, I go with the southern approach, which is to say I soak them overnight in hot sauce and buttermilk, then coat with flour and fry. This time however I decided to bread them in the same stuff I was breading my cheese and zucchini in (a mixture of bread crumbs, fresh Parmesan, oregano, and garlic powder). For the mushrooms I made my standard beer batter (flour, corn starch, beer) and added a small touch of cumin and about 1-2 teaspoons of hot curry powder. I paired the zucchini and mozzarella with a sweet basil tomato sauce, the chicken fingers with hot plum sauce, and the mushrooms with mango chutney, and chili sauce.

Chicken Fingers


Zucchini Sticks

Mozzarella Sticks


Fried Mushrooms

Everything turned out well, I'm interested to try the mushrooms again but with a variety of different mushrooms, IE; shiitake, oyster, portabello, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment