Sunday, March 28, 2010

Putting Subway Out of Business, One Sandwich at a Time

Ok, well in all likely hood, I won't put Subway out of business with my sandwich recipes, but sometime's I like to think I could (and lets face it, even helping to minimally reduce their income is a personal pleasure).

This recipe is for anyone with a bit of spare time on their hands, and likes a meatball sub. I decided to make it almost as if it was a calzone. Which is to say the all the ingretiants are baked into the bread.

The bread was a simple baguette recipe, 1 tbs sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1.5 tsp yeast, 1 cup luke warm water, 2.5 cups bread flour, and 1.5 tbs olive oil. Add sugar yeast and water to a bowl, let stand for 5 minutes, and the salt and flour, mix, and olive oil, and knead until no longer sticky. Let rise for 10 minutes.

As the bread was rising, cooked off some frozen meatballs (using fresh homemade is ideal, however I lacked the ingredients) heated some tomato sauce, and started chopping my vegetables. For vegetables I was using garlic cut into sticks, julienned onion and red and green peppers, and mushrooms. When the meatballs finished cooking I added them to the pre heated tomato sauce and cooked for 5 minutes further, whilst stir frying the veg.

When the dough had risen, I formed it into thing baguettes, and then thinned out to look like an oblong pizza.

Tip: When folding the dough over near the end, its much easier to make the dough wider then you need. It helps to avoid the ingredients trying to burst out and the dough weakening with sauce. With it a little wider you can almost wrap it together.

The sandwich building went as such; add a thin layer of parmesan;

followed by meatballs and sauce;

the veg;

mozzarella;

and wrap.

When this was finished I topped with a layer of egg yolk mixed with water, more parmesan, and some oregano.

Bake for roughly 25 minutes at 375 degrees, and enjoy your sandwich (just a hint, place sandwich on a baking sheet sealed side down).

WARNING: Do not over fill or this will happen:

Unless this is how you like your sandwich, they were still very much edible, and very much tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment