Sunday, February 28, 2010

Indian Nights, Part 1

Indian food is something I've gained a taste for only in the last couple years, and with any cuisine I enjoy, I enjoy replicating it in my spare time at home. There have been a few dishes I have been wanting to make for sometime now, and have decided in the weeks to come to try and cook the majority of them. In the passed week I did Tandoori Chicken, with Malaysian Noodles on the side (granted its a dish that obviously isn't Indian, however it does bare its similarities, that and I lacked the sufficient ingredients for an Indian side dish). For the Tandoori Chicken I used a pre-mixed Tandoori Masala spice blend, 1 cup yogurt, 1 lemon juiced, 5 cloves garlic, 1/4 onion, and roughly 1/2 inch of ginger.

I Marinated the chicken for roughly 1 hour and then put into the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour, flipping every 15 minutes.

I then put on the broiler for another 5 minutes to finish them off.

Meanwhile I started on the noodles. I started by soaking some broad rice noodles in luke warm water. I then cut 1/4 onion, 2 heads broccoli, 2 dried and soaked chilies, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tomato, several green beans, and some cabbage.


When my noodles became ply-able I drained the water and mixed in some vegetable oil.

I then made my curry spice blend, by adding roughly 2 tbs hot curry powder, 1/2 tsp tandoori masala, 1/2 tsp lemon grass.

As soon as everything was ready I added 2 tbs butter and 1 tsp vegetable oil to a wok on medium heat. As soon as the butter melted I added the curry spice blend, followed by the onion, garlic and chili. I then added the rest of the vegetables, and when nearly cooked the noodles. As soon as the noodles finished I added a large mugs worth of shrimp.

Everything turned out quite well. I can't wait till the weather clears up and I can get my BBQ back up and running so I can toss those Tandoori suckers over and open flame.

Coming soon, Vegetable Pakoras, Vegetable Samosas, Lamb Vindaloo, Butter Chicken, Raita, and Garlic Naan Bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment