Sunday, February 28, 2010

Home Made Nacho Chips: Take 1

After a delicious plate of Nachos(using fresh homemade tortilla chips) at The Roy (Queen E & Logan) sometime ago, its been on my agenda to make up some Nacho Chips of my own. One major problem had been stopping me however; not even the faintest of clues how. So finally last week I decided to just take a stab at it. Figuring most store bought Tortillas are made with regular white flour, I would just substitute with corn flour to make corn chips. Having picked up some corn flour at a recent visit to John Vinces (large bulk & spice store) I went to it, about 2 cups corn flour 1/2 tbs salt and a dash of vegetable oil and the slow addition of water until I had a dough. I took out two heavy cast iron pans, some wax paper, and formed the dough into 2 inch balls. I then place the dough in between the pans and flattened. Immediately after flattening I tossed into a pan a cooked on both sides, then removed and left to cool. After all were flattened, cooked and cooled off I cut them into wedges. The first problem made its self quite evident, My Tortillas were too thick. I took out the sharped knife I had and begin to double my Tortillas. After cutting them all in half I began to fry them in small batches.

Mean while I defrosted some previous homemade chili I had in the freezer.

After the chili was cooked I plated it topped with cheese, sour cream, green onion and tomato. Served with the Nacho Chips on the side.

Whilst a good first attempt, the chips were still too thick, and the extra cooking time made the chips overly hard. I look forward to doing this again, perhaps with some corn meal in the dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment