Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Little More Pao, and a Little Less Stock

I don't know what it is, whether the peanuts, the tender chicken, the spicy Chile's, or the sour sauce, (likely the combination of the lot) but I have always had an affinity for Kung Pao chicken. Another standard for me at a Chinese restaurant has been Beef with Oyster Sauce. Now I've been cooking Kung Pao for a while now so I'm already well familiar with what goes into it. However I have never really found a working Oyster Beef recipe to tinker with. I recently came across an interesting sounding recipe however involving beef stock. Now I almost always have a few chicken, and a few beef stock cartons lying around for when I don't have time to make my own. Which was to come in handy as I didn't have a ton of time to make everything from scratch. So I made my Marinades, got my meats soaking only to go into the pantry to get the stocks and find none. Disappointed by my realization I just had to substitute the less flavourful option of water.

Kung Pao Chicken

Beef with Oyster Sauce

The dishes came out fairly well, the Kung Pao being superior as the stock requirement was much lower (1 tbs compared to a 1/2 cup). The Oyster Beef whilst lacking in full flavor, was definitely an improvement over the last time I tried my hand at it. I look forward to givin' it another go with the proper ingredients at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment