Thursday, April 8, 2010

Late Night Owl

Ah, The Owl of Minerva, not just in literature anymore. This quaint little Korean restaurant, with 2 locations, one on Yonge, just south of Churchhill, and the other on Bloor somewhere in Korea town. I guess relating the name to a nocturnal creature isn't such a bad thing when boasting a 24 hour 7 day a week restaurant. With a menu full of good and spicy treats, easy accessibility, always open, its no wonder just why this is one of my regular haunts.

I swang by yesterday to grab some late night take-away (say around 1 in the am). And I would like to share their house specialty, and my usual order here today. This of course being; Kamjatan. A spicy stew, consisting of potato, meaty pork neck bones, some vegetables, a side of rice, and traditional Korean side dishes (in this case spicy fermented radish, and Kim Chi) for all of 7$.

The Rice

The Soup

The Sides

Now there is some debate as to how one actually eats this soup. Some like to take the meat off the bones and break up the potato all in the broth and add their rice. Some the ingredients first then add their rice to the broth. And then there are those such as myself who eat the ingredients and then add the broth to the rice. I like it this way as you have control over the distribution of broth.

The Pork

The Rice Soup

Short of a glaring lack of potato, it was as delicious as always. I plan to attempt to recreate this wonderful dish at home later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment