Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Jamaican for Dinner

I've had a recent hankering for Jamaican food lately. So the other night to satisfy the craving I cooked up some jerk chicken, with beef patties, Jamaican rice and beans, and salad.

I marinated a chicken (cut into pieces) for 24 hours. For the marinate I used, a half cup of fresh coriander, 2 tbs ground allspice, 2 tbs brown sugar, 2 scotch bonnets, 1 lime (juiced), 3 cloves garlic, 2 green onions, a splash of olive oil, all minced in a food processor, with orange juice added until desired wetness.
If your sensitive to spice, use 1 scotch bonnet instead of 2.
For the beef patty crust I used a basic pie crust. And the filling was made from 2 scotch bonnets, 1 lb ground beef, 1 onion minced, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, and a half cup chicken stock. I started by frying the onions and diced scotch bonnets till tender, then adding the garlic for an additional minute. Then I added the beef and curry powder till the beef browned. Then the bread crumbs and chicken stock, and cooked at a simmer with the lid on until most of the liquid was gone (filling was still damp).
Again if your sensitive to spice, use 1 scotch bonnet instead of 2.

My final meal addition was the rice and beans, I used 1 cup of basmatti rice, 1/2 onion minced, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1 can of small red beans, 1 can coconut milk, and about a cup of water. I started by frying the onions and garlic, till soft. Then I added the beans and rice, stirred, and added the coconut milk and water. I cooked on a high heat until a boil, and continued to boil until the liquid had reduced to roughly the level of the rice and beans, then covered and simmered until done.

The chicken was cooked at 400 for roughly an hour and 20 minutes.

Before baking the patties, I coated them in egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tbs water). Then baked for 30-40 minutes at 400.

I timed everything to finish together and served with a slice of watermelon.
Recipe for the chicken and rice was adapted from one found at http://www.weareneverfull.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment