Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Puffy Chicken Tacos

Along with finding a great chili con queso recipe at http://www.homesicktexan.com/ I found a recipe for Puffy Taco's. I however decided to fill mine with chicken breast.

I started by frying up a batch of shells, it was difficult to get them to come out in the right shape, but hey, what can you do right? There is most certainly a technique you need to fry them and get them to come out in a good shape, I just haven't figured out what that might be yet.

After I had a good amount of shells I pan fried my chicken breasts that had been pounded down to about a 1/3 of an inch, and then covered in spices, such as garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, etc. I left them to sit in the spices for about an hour before frying. After about 1/2 to 3/4 cooked I took them out, diced the breasts, and added them back to the frying pan with lime juice and about 2 tbs of cilantro. After fully cooked I loaded the chicken slices to the taco shells, with toppings such as cheese, sour cream, salsa, lettuce, tomato, red onion, cucumber, and pickled jalapeno.
After devouring about 4 of these delicious tacos I got peckish again and used up the rest of the stuff in a taco salad.
At the end of the day, I think I preferred these in salad form, just as the shape of the shells ceased to matter. It gave good purpose to all the shells I couldn't open or were just too deformed to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment