Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Wonderful Applications of Chili

Whats not to love about Chili? It can meat, it can be vegetarian, it can be spicy, it can be mild, it can go on nachos, burgers, fries, hot dogs, rice, in a burrito, or just by itself. It freezes well, although like anything is best served fresh.

So my freezer had recently run dry from my last chili making binge, and it was time to make a new batch. I decided to make a ass kicking 6 alarm chili, with ground beef and 3 types of beans (pinto, kidney, and Mexican), as well as a milder Texas chili with chunks of chuck. To really heat up with 6 alarm chili along with the 3 cans of beans, and 3 lbs of ground beef, I added 3 jalapenos, 2 Serrano's, 2 poblano's, and 2.5 habanero's. That in addition to the regular chili fixin's (spice blend, tomatoes, stock, beer, tomato paste).
And for the Texas chili, I added 1 poblano, 2 jalapenos, 1 serrano, and 1/2 a habanero, in addition to the 3 lbs of chuck cubes.

Some 4 or 5 hours later I had to boiling pots of finished chili ready to be consumed. First ready and tasted was the Texas Chili, and man did it ever turn out hotter then I had bargained for.
Being so long since I had worked with the habanero, I forgot it isn't something to fuck around with. Now sufficiently worried for the sake of my stomach and intestinal track, I found myself ready to try the vastly hotter chili. I dug right in, and I must say it wasn't as bad as I had built it up in my head, although it was still quite hot, and did a number on my digestive system on its tour of my body.

Now as I was mentioning earlier, the face you can put chili on about anything, well here's somethings I've slathered in chili since making this huge pot.

Chili Cheese Dog
Small Chili Cheeseburger
Ultimate Chili Cheeseburger
Nachos
Fries
And finally, for the perfect accompaniment to nachos, with or without chili, in the vain of chili con carne, chili con queso!
I found the recipe for this wonderful melty cheese sauce at http://www.homesicktexan.blogspot.com/ a wonderful blog I've recently started to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment