Friday, December 17, 2010

Sausage Dog w/ Spicy Onions

There is a hot dog vendor not too far from where I live. Now that shouldn't be surprising in a city of 10,000 hot dog vendors. How ever this one in particular stands out for 1 reason. Spicy onions. It is the only vendor in the city I have found that has the complimentary topping of spicy onions. I believe it's a mostly American trend, but have no idea really if its any more predominant down south.

So, not really having will to make the 15 minute walk to go to the stand, and a leftover sausage in the fridge, all I really needed was the onions!

To work I went!

I sliced 1 onion and began caramelizing it. After a just a few minutes I added about 2-3 tbs of brown sugar.
After incorporating the brown sugar, and cooking a few minutes longer, I added the remaining spices. Roughly 2 tsp paprika and chili powder, and 1 tsp cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
After cooking in the spices for a few minutes I added the final ingredient, ketchup. Roughly 1/4-1/3 cup.

Bun toasted, sausage cooked, and topped with spicy onions! Mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment